Oh, Canadians!
A Tribute to Canadians Who Make A Difference

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Second Box of Raspberries Award

My second Box of Raspberries Award goes to Canadians who feel the need to disparage Celine Dion. It seems to be a badge of coolness to disrespect her. What is that about? I have never defined for myself an 'unCanadian' behaviour until now but this denegrating of an innocent woman certainly qualifies (and I worry that it smacks of prejudice within our country). It is far different from our national characteristic of laughing at ourselves.


It seems so 'unCanadian' to me to disrespect someone from our own country and for what? Being TOO NICE?

I am convinced that this is the same spirit and comes from the same place as bullying. It is defining oneself as 'cool' by defining someone else as 'not cool'. She is a unique human being with a talent that most of the world does appreciate. You do not have to attend her concerts (I never have) and you do not have to choose her style of music but what the heck! I would even accept satirizing her and her choices (like the second wedding ceremony) but not apologizing for her as a Canadian! We are all entitled to our preferences but we should certainly respect the person and the achievements. She is an excellent ambassador for our country, a humanitarian and a unique personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment